10 day Natural Building Workshop in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil nadu
About the organization -
Thannal Hand Sculpted Homes is a Natural Building Awareness Group, under Thannal Mud Homes Trust, based in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. It was founded by Natural Building architect Biju Bhaskar and his wife Sindhu Bhaskar in 2011.
About the workshop -
Thannal Natural Building School’s half yearly 10-day course is planned for people who want intense learning in natural materials, techniques and processes through hands-on work (1:1 scale) on our project.
Every aspect of Natural Building from foundation, wall systems, roofs, flooring & finishes is part of this course. Basics know-how of every ingredient used like different types of mud, lime, bamboo, herbal mixes and natural gums is explained. Participants are made familiar with how to identify different properties of material, source it, prepare it and different technique of using it. Various treatments for natural materials for termite resistance and how to repair mud structures is also covered.
Enhanced with Rural Study through site visits to indigenous & contemporary mud buildings. Inferences from such experiences can strengthen your confidence in building with Natural Materials.
Observe and learn from wide range of experimentation done in our campus:
- The Singing Dervish Studio, using cob.
- Earth bag studio.
- Learning Center, using Cob, Adobe, Wattle & Daub.
- Water tanks made with Mud and Lime.
- Sensing Natural living.
Aspects of Natural Building explored:
- Lime preparation and usage.
- Different forms of stabilization and admixtures.
- Treatments using native plant and animal derivatives.
- Natural gums.
- Grey water management using Natural filtration.
The course consists of
- Theory sessions with lectures and audio-visual presentation.
- Hands-on sessions (for better practical learning about Materials & Techniques).
- Prototype sessions (artisan will explain through doing a sample).
- Site Visits (to experience the existing Natural Buildings).
- Question and Answer session.
Natural Building Techniques covered in the course:
- Foundation using Earth-bag and Stone.
- Cob, a thick mono-lithic wall using Mud and Fibers.
- Wattle & Daub, bamboo is weaved and mud is applied on top. Flexible to take any shape given.
- Adobe, Sun Dried bricks of Mud and Fibers.
- CSMB, compressed mud blocks using very less water.
- Earth-bag as building units.
- Beams and Lintels using Bamboo.
- Natural Plasters using admixtures derived from plants and animals.
- Flooring using Lime and Terracotta tiles.
- Roofing using Thatch, Bamboo, Wood and Tiles.
- Murals and Sculptures on Mud walls
Workshop Dates -
3- 13 th October 2020 – (Tickets will open soon)
4- 14th December 2020 – (Tickets will open soon)
Workshop Location -
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bangalore.
Accommodation is not available within Thannal Campus, so participants have to find and arrange a guest house for staying in Tiruvannamalai town. This expense is not included in the course fee. Daily commute to the campus (6 k.m. from Ramana Ashram, Tiruvannamalai) during workshop days also have to be arranged by participants.
Workshop fee -
The workshop fee is Rs. 25,500/- (Only Indians) and USD 495/- (foreign nationals or Non- Resident Indians).
If you are coming for the workshop with your family, children between 10-18 years will be charged Rs. 12,750/- and children below 10 years can attend the workshop without any fee with their parents.
This fee includes lunch & refreshments during workshop days and excludes accommodation & site visit’s travel expenses.
For more workshop details, please visit here
Note: Due to Covid, the planned dates could vary. Registrations will open only after the situation return to normal.